BLOG Article

FAQs for Professional Tenants

Help and advice for professional tenants. Frequently asked questions regarding renting a property through Bricks & Mortar.

What are your fees?

All professional tenants pay a Reservation Fee to cover set up and administration costs, equivalent to 60% of the monthly rental inc. VAT.

What happens if I or my guarantor fail referencing?

If you fail referencing, you will need to explain why you failed so that your landlord can decide whether or not to offer you the tenancy. If your landlord agrees. In most cases, you will need to provide a guarantor. If your guarantor fails referencing, you will have to find another guarantor or pay your rent in advance. If neither of these options are possible, please discuss with us alternative options.

How do I pay my rent?

Most tenants pay rent by monthly standing order. A standing order is simply a written instruction from you to your bank, stating how much, how often and for how long a certain amount of money needs to be paid from your bank to our bank or the landlord’s account. It is your responsibility to ensure the standing order is set up. Just because you have a standing order in place it doesn’t automatically mean that the money arrives on time.

I’m an international tenant, do I have to pay rent in advance?

If you cannot provide a UK based guarantor, you will have to pay rent in advance. Usually 12 months in advance, but may be negotiable and we can discuss alternative options with you.

What happens if I pay my rent late?

Late payment of rent is a breach of your tenancy agreement. Notice letters of late payments sent will result in a £30 inc VAT administration charge which will be added to your rent arrears. If you are aware you may be paying your rent late, please contact us before this as we are here to help and support you. Rent payment must still be paid but we may be able to come up with an arrangement that makes it easier for you to manage your finances.

Am I allowed a pet?

This is dependent on the landlord. You may be able to negotiate an individual arrangement direct with the landlord before you sign the tenancy agreement. This is often subject to extra rent, or an extra deposit and you may have to sign a pet addendum. The latter allows you to have a specific pet for an agreed period of time under certain conditions. Ultimately it will be the landlord’s decision.

Can I leave the tenancy early?

A tenancy agreement is legally binding which makes it difficult to leave any tenancy before the end date. Although all cases are different and sometimes a replacement can be found, but there is a penalty fee and your contract is still binding until or unless anyone is found.

How do I serve notice to leave?

If you are in a fixed term tenancy agreement, you cannot leave your tenancy earlier than the specified end date. If you have chosen not to renew, you will be sent a Section 21 notice to leave the property at the end of the tenancy term. If you are on a periodic tenancy which is a rolling month-to-month tenancy with no fixed end date, you will need to give at least one month’s clear notice in writing to us or your landlord.

How do I renew my tenancy?

We contact professional tenants 3 months before the end of the tenancy, alternatively you can contact us directly as soon as you decide to renew. Landlords have the option to agree to renewals, therefore it isn’t always guaranteed that they will approve. There may also be a change in tenancy terms or rent.